Supplemental Declaration of Municipal Emergency
Executive Order 2020-036
July 8, 2020
WHEREAS, on March 9, 2020, the State of Rhode Island Governor, Gina M. Raimondo, issued Executive Order 20-02 declaring a state of emergency due to the outbreak of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, on March 15, 2020, Mayor Roberto L. DaSilva, issued Executive Order 2020-004 declaring a state of municipal emergency due to the outbreak of COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the East Providence City Council ratified the Declaration of Municipal Emergency at a meeting on March 17, 2020 and authorized its extension through August 5, 2020 on July 7, 2020; and
WHEREAS, it is necessary to extend and/or amend certain Executive Orders in order to properly implement Governor Raimondo's Reopening RI's Phase system; and
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mayor Roberto L. DaSilva, by virtue of the authority vested in me as the Mayor of the City of East Providence, pursuant to the Rhode Island General Laws and the Home Rule Charter of the City of East Providence, do hereby order and direct the following:
The following Executive Orders set to expire July 8, 2020 shall hereby be extended until August 5, 2020:
- E.O. 2020-018, requiring employees of customer/client facing business to wear cloth face coverings.
- E.O. 2020-020, requiring customers to wear cloth face coverings, and empowering businesses to refuse service to said customers if in violation of this Order.
The following Executive Orders set to expire July 8, 2020 shall hereby be extended until August 5, 2020, and amended as follows:
- E.O.2020-016, concerning the closing of city hall.
- Directive 1 of this Order is hereby amended to read as, "To be in alignment with all public health guidelines within Phase III of Governor Gina Raimondo's Reopening RI initiative, East Providence city hall, and all other municipal buildings, shall be closed to the public except by appointment only. Residents may use the City's website, phone number (401-435-7500), or the United States postal service, to communicate with City personnel. The public may also use the city drop-box located outside of city hall to deliver payments or other forms to city hall."
- Directives 2 through 5 of this Order shall be rescinded.
- E.O.2020-019, concerning the suspension of municipal tax penalties and the tax sale process.
- Directive 4 of this Order is amended to read as, "The city tax sale process shall be suspended for the remainder of the 2020 calendar year."
This Order shall take effect immediately and remain in full force and effect through August 5, 2020, unless extended by and with the consent of the City Council, or amended by a subsequent Order.