East Providence Local Advisory Committee for Special Education
The East Providence Parent Advisory Committee for Special Education is pleased to announce the Eighth Annual Special Needs Recognition Program. We are currently seeking nominations for educators, teacher assistants, therapists, programs, students, parents and/or community resources that have provided consistently outstanding services for Special Education students, especially in the area of inclusion. Inclusion is students with special education needs spending most or all of their time with non-disabled students. The goal of this program is to increase awareness and recognize those people who are providing best practices in inclusive education.
Basis for Nomination
Criteria: Identify the criteria that are the basis for your nomination. Refer to the criteria below.
Criteria for the Special Needs Recognition Program
Educator/Teacher Assistant /Therapist
An educator/therapist who has provided consistently outstanding services to advance the success of students with special needs by demonstrating teaching practices in the classroom(special education or general education) which enable achievement and participation of students with special needs:
• Peer helping strategies
• Social skills development
• Management of behavior
• Differentiated instruction, instruction accommodations & appropriate test modifications
• classroom organization
• training & support of staff which increases achievement of students with special needs
• Promoting parent involvement to enable achievement and participation of students with special needs.
A student who has made an outstanding contribution to school objectives or programs in one or more of the following ways:
• Participating in school programs which increase peer acceptance and support individual differences.
• Providing direct assistance, friendship, and encouragement to students with special needs.
• Demonstrating leadership in student activities to promote a spirit of caring, belonging, and cooperation among the
• A school based program, demonstrating outstanding results in promoting success of students with special needs through the cooperative efforts of school administrator, regular education and special education staff.
• A parent who effectively advocated for their child to get the supports necessary for their child’s academic and social success.
• A local business or individual, who has made an outstanding contribution to school and/or community programs that benefited students with special needs.
Once all the nominations have been received and the winners have been chosen, there will be an awards reception on May 5, 2016 at Martin Middle School (details to follow). We thank you for your participation in this program.
Please email the following information by Thursday, March 31, 2016 to:
EPLAC Parent Leader: Sharon Kochan at email@example.com
1. Name of Person or Program Nominated:
2. Category of Nomination: Educator, Teacher Assistant, Therapist, Parent, Community Resource, Student or Program
4. Your Name:
5. Your Phone #:
6. Your Email:
7. Nominating Statement: In 250 words or less, please state your reasons that support your nomination. Please keep a copy of your narrative for the Recognition Program awards reception.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email Sharon Kochan at the above email or our district email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be notified by April 15th if your nomination has been chosen to receive recognition.
Thank you for your participation.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FORM